Legal Help: Getting Hurt on the Street

Steps To Take After Being Charged With A DUI

If you have recently been pulled over while under the influence, there are several steps that need to be taken to get your license back in good-standing. It may take a while before you are able to drive again, but making sure to follow steps properly will help make sure there are no problems in having your driver's license privileges reinstated. Here are some of the steps you will need to follow to get your license back as soon as possible.

Hire An Attorney

After you have been convicted of a DUI offense, you need to seek counsel right away. Having an attorney to represent you is necessary if you wish to lessen the sentencing the judge will give to you for your mistake. Most courts do not take DUI offenses lightly, so having an attorney will help you possibly get a better punishment overall. They may be able to prove that something was faulty with the equipment used to test you at the time of the arrest. They may find something wrong with the overall procedure the police carried out at the time of the arrest, as well.

Follow The Punishment

When you go to court, the judge will determine the punishment that fits the severity of the crime you had committed. You will most likely need to pay fines, go to court-appointed classes, and see a probation officer regularly. In most DUI cases where the defendant is found guilty, the driver's license will be suspended for an amount of time determined by the judge. In more severe cases, you may need to do some jail time. Make sure to follow all punishments thoroughly, as they will have an impact on whether you will be able to get your license back on time.

Carry Insurance

Your car insurance company might drop your coverage after hearing you had a DUI offense. You will need to shop around for an insurance company that will cover you once your driving privilege is reinstated. Ask your insurance company first to see if they will allow you to stay covered.  

When you find an insurance company that will cover you, depending on the state you live in, you may need to file a SR-22 form stating that you had a DUI offense. This piece of paper must be kept with your insurance card in your vehicle. You will need to show this to a police officer if you are pulled over for any reason. You will need to keep it for several years. If you fail to keep this form and you are pulled over, you will risk losing your license again. For more information, contact a firm such as Edward Galang Law.

About Me

Legal Help: Getting Hurt on the Street

I never gave a lot of thought to needing a lawyer until I was injured while walking down a sidewalk. The accident happened when a biker decided to use the sidewalk instead of the street, and plowed into me as he turned a corner. What followed was a lesson in what is involved with pedestrian accidents. I found a traffic attorney who took my case, and she was able to obtain a settlement that covered the legal fees and my medical bills. If you have been injured through the negligence of another party, you do need legal representation. Keep reading and I'll share how I found the right lawyer and what we did to ensure that my rights were fully protected in a court of law.